Hooray for sustainable fashion where the concept of buying less but buying better has gained huge traction in recent years. The same now needs to happen for candles.
Its incredible that so many people don't seem to know or even care about what goes into the candles they buy and light in their homes.
The reality is that the vast majority of candles sold in the UK are made with paraffin wax and artificial chemicals. They are factory produced in containers that take huge amounts of energy to make.
Here at Cockles and Heart we think this really matters. In fact, serious concerns about what was going into mass produced candles was one of the main reasons we started our little enterprise in the first place. So we set out to do things differently and hopefully better.
You can read alot more about the choices we make on our Earth Matters page, but here's a brief comparison between what we make and our mass market equivalents.
- Blended with the finest natural waxes (UK beeswax and olive oil wax) and essential oils
- Wicked with pure cotton and linen wicks
- Handcrafted into vintage china and glass (saving energy and giving new life to discarded china)
- Long lasting
- Smell fab from top to bottom
Big Brand Candles
- Made with paraffin wax and other waxes derived from petrol
- Scented with chemical fragrances
- Factory produced into new china and glass containers (energy intensively produced materials)
- Burn down quickly
- Smell fades before you get through the candle.